10 Grasshoppers Facts for kids
1. Grasshoppers are insects. Like any other insects, they have six legs, a head, thorax, and abdomen. Grasshoppers also have two antennae, two pairs of wings.
2. Their colors vary from one place to another place. They can be light green reddish or yellowish-brown.
3. Grasshoppers are protein-rich diet. It is eaten by a lot of people in Africa and South America.
4. Grasshoppers are threats to formers because they destroy the entire field. They come together in large swarms and eat leaves grasses and crops.
5. Grasshoppers and Crickets have similar body structures except Grasshoppers have smaller antennae.
6. Birds, frogs, spiders, lizards, etc. are predators of grasshoppers.
7. Grasshoppers get active during the day time. They are diurnal just opposite of nocturnal creatures.
8. Grasshoppers' average length is about 5 centimeters. While a few can grow up to 12 centimeters.
9. They can jump incredibly 20 times to their body length. Grasshoppers can bounce approximately 25cm high and roughly 1 meter long.
10. Grasshoppers can not survive in the extremely cold conditions of the polar regions. However, they adapt well in deserts forest, grassland, and other driers and sandy environments.